Saturday, February 18, 2012

In Search of Cougars

Although winter still has its hold over us here in the northwest, the end is within sight and with the warmer weather we have hopes of new outdoor opportunities. We need something that will allow us to stretch our legs, somewhere to explore, so I meet up with James in town to talk about going out for a weekend cougar hunt. As we lean back on our respective trucks we begin to discuss some of our upcoming moves and while I’ve never thought about cougars, the bird season has ended and I am growing ever more antsy to get out again. So, after much time discussing odds and reviewing units we set into motion a plan for Sunday. Quickly, the preperations are underway and we tentatively cross our fingers. On Sunday we head out. I can’t wait.

I think for two east coast boys growing up in our respective areas, the lifestyle changes that have befallen us are much welcome and certainly exciting. Although James is older than I am and has no doubt experienced much more in his time, I think what we both appreciate is where we are today; a beautiful place where within an hour we can be completely disconnected.
I’m sitting here laying out my clothes for tomorrow’s 5:00 AM start. It’s going to be cold and snowy up near Mt. Emily so I pack my gators, extra socks, and a good oil laden jacket. James is bringing down his rifles, a .30-06 and a .243. I pack two cameras in hopes of getting a shot of something amazing and sit back, barely able to sleep…it’s like Christmas Eve.
The best part for me, and I’d imagine James feels the same way, is thinking about all the people we know back east. It’s Saturday night for all of us, but in reality, we are worlds apart. There is a different feel to the night. I’d imagine that the friends I had in high school are probably getting ready to go out to New York City bars where the music will be loud and the lights bright. They’ll no doubt enjoy themselves, head home, and wake up feeling satisfied. They’ll head off to brunch the next morning and reminisce about the night’s happenings, having never really given any thought to the next day. For us, the night will be filled with anticipation and attention to detail. Tomorrow we wake up before dawn and head off into the forest. We don’t have much of a plan once we get there, but the objective is very clear, find cats.
The night is calling for new snow and the idea of fresh tracks is enough to keep my eyes glued open. We’ll venture off into the woods, walk quietly and try to tap into the senses that evolution long ago dulled. With rifles in hand we’ll eye the ridges and be ever cautious of the woods around us. We don’t hunt to cater to others, we don’t hunt to puff our chests out…we hunt because of the challenge. Whether it's shooting a flushing bird or tracking a cougar, it’s the raw nature of it, and the test to make everything we do when we’re out there, count.
Tomorrow, many people will wake up, head off to brunch, and watch a Sunday movie. Tomorrow, we head into the forest, dark and deep, but filled with mystery and adventure. I can’t wait, I can’t sleep, 10 hours to go.


No comments:

Post a Comment