Sunday, March 25, 2012

Scouting for Spring Bear: Part II

Going into this weekend I wasn’t sure what I would get myself into. I wasn’t sure what the outlook would be but above all else I knew I had to be outdoors. From the moment I opened my back door and stepped outside this Friday the tempo was set. The sun was out, the air was warm, and spring was beckoning. With the day off from work and James gone for the weekend, I decided to head out and continue scouting for our bear season. With three weeks to go and the mountain forecast at least slightly in my favor, taking advantage of these days has become a must.

After taking Farley around the block I gathered up a few supplies, including my gun and a camera, and headed off to La Grande. On the drive up I glanced to see the mountains had gotten a light dusting and with clouds looming to the west I tried to remain positive, seeking blue skies to the north. As Farley snacked on some jerky we made one last stop at the Oregon Department of Forestry to purchase a new map and were on our way.

Once in the unit I took my first turn off Road 51, a winding two track, and with some elevation I was able to glass over the forest. I raised my binoculars and to my immediate surprise two bull elk appeared through the lenses. Early on in their antler growth, their velvet makes for an imposing sight and to see them out in an open field made me jump straight into the elk season. But it is in fact, bear season, and while elk are great to see, the long, open slope, with little snow had me marking down the spot for other reasons.
I continued along that same road and within a mile or so came upon a set of bobcat tracks. As I stepped onto the gravel the analysis quickly began. The rounded shape, lack of any visual claw marks, and walking gate were dead giveaways. At this point I had only been in the woods for about an hour and had come across deer, elk, and now bobcat tracks. I was quite content. But despite my wildlife sightings, south facing slopes were becoming increasingly hard to come by and then, without notice, the weather turned. Slowly snowing at first and then turning into something of a hail, snow mix. Blinded by the storm my hopes of a full day were beginning to break. However, I forged ahead, praying the downfall would ease up.
To my dismay, the storm never did pass through completely but I was given several windows in which I was able to look back and see some lowland slopes. I could see open ground, small meadows, and what looked to be several creeks, all of which I imagine bears will be attracted to come April. Hopefully, with three weeks to go, the spring weather will break over the mountains and expand our search radius, but for now, this ground was looking better and better.
I can’t say I was as satisfied with the scouting as I would have liked to have been, but I can’t control the weather and it is what it is. So, with points on a map and some areas circled for the next trip, I began heading down the road to work my way out of the unit. With clearing skies I was making solid progress before some large snowdrifts stopped me in my tracks. I had a piece of open ground to put chains on and did so but the result was the same. I had reached a dead end and was forced to turn around. Now, with the day winding down I knew I would need to head back north and come back home through La Grande. Not my favorite option but unfortunately, the only one.
I suppose I didn’t expect much on my way home but as luck would have it the few elk I had seen earlier in the day had now moved downhill and multiplied into a herd of about fifty, it was awesome. I slowed down to take a picture and immediately a few of the larger bulls were eyeing me down, despite being much too far away to do any harm. Isn't it funny how elk operate? Deer will stand on the side of the road, stare you down, and slowly walk away, but with elk, the vibe is completely different. They see you and are immediately on the move. Upon my temporary stop, it was no different. As I drove by below them the whole herd began to move uphill and that is when it hit me, I had to get up there.
With the wind in my favor and a backside hill to come up on, I parked around the corner, grabbed both the cameras and started moving up towards the herd. Not knowing how far they had been pushed by my passing truck, I shot for just above where I had last seen them. The ground was muddy and the rocks wet but the anticipation and excitement had me moving with ease.
As I approached the higher ground I poked my head just over the ridge and there they were. What a beautiful sight. About 75 yards separated me and the herd. I began my sneak and as I tried to keep the cameras dry I dropped down onto my knees and could instantly feel the mud soaking into my pants. I inched forward, keeping my head down and eyes forward, closer and closer. I could see a downed pine branch dead ahead and I made my way over to it, the elk continuing their progression uphill. Finally I got to my spot, 30 yards away, so excited. A mix of cows and calves filled the hillside. The bulls I had seen from below were much higher but the herd as a whole was as impressive as can be.
Wanting to push myself farther and with only a few cows giving any indication that something was up I moved back out and came in from another angle, this time, slower yet. With my video camera rolling I made my move. Sporting nothing but my wool buffalo jacket and a pair of blue jeans I crept my way to within 15 yards of a cow, calf pair. What a moment, what an impressive animal. I slowed down just enough to snap some photos and then began to get the stare down from two elk just below me. However, the moment passed and their eyes began to drift as they went back to grazing. I had escaped their watchful gaze and now, not wanting to scare the heard, I left the same way I came in and headed back down to my truck. What a success.
"Does it get any better than this?", I had to ask myself. You head out for a day of bear scouting and suddenly you’re crawling through the mud to sneak up on a herd of elk. The opportunities are endless. This is why I love eastern Oregon. This is why I don’t want to leave and if you just place yourself in the woods or out in the sagebrush, good things are going to happen. Seeing elk up that close will certainly take even more patience come archery season, but my anticipation couldn’t be higher. Bear season is first though and while there is more scouting ahead, this was a great way to end the day.
Scouting: 




End of the Road:


Elk Herd:









No comments:

Post a Comment