Friday, April 20, 2012

A Turkey Situation

With the arrival of spring we now find the woods alive with the sound of turkeys. The gobbling is incessant in the early morning hours and the sounds come from high ridges and meadows alike. It’s a little bit of a curious thing to hear them sounding off in the day’s first light. You wonder what is going through their heads but in the end it may merely be a case of sexual desire. Turkeys, not unlike humans, have urges; it just so happens their time table is slightly more predictable.

With the passing of April 15th my second turkey season is officially underway and while I am excited as ever, I won’t lie, it got off to a rocky start. I awoke on opening morning only to look over at my clock and see that it was 8:13. After a double take it became all too apparent; the season I had been counting down the days for had come and I had overslept, huh, “Some hunter I am”, I thought. But after making my way into the woods that evening I in part redeemed myself by getting out and scouting around. There wasn’t a whole lot to go off of but with a little persistence I was able to push several turkeys out of their roosts just before sunset. I figured the next day I would start early and see what I could get into. As it turns out, what happened the next morning would end up becoming my first truly tragic hunting story.
I suppose if all I was to write about were James and my successes it wouldn’t be authentic or genuine. The headline to this blog is, “A couple of east coast boys learning to hunt out west”, and without a doubt, that is often the case, especially for me. And so, as luck would have it, my learning when it came to turkeys was to begin immediately.
I arrived at the field I wanted to hunt well before sunrise. I walked out into the middle and with no calls of any sort or any real idea where to start; I stood in there, in the pitch black, tossing ideas around. The indecision must have been blatantly plastered across my face because it wasn’t long before a great horned owl decided to come to my aid. It was almost as if he was looking at me in my half-ass camo and saying, “This guy needs help”. So, to my pleasure he began to hoot, loud and strong, sending vibrations through the woods. It seems that from what I’ve been told and what I experienced that morning, an owl’s call will definitely get a tom to start making some noise. With my owl friend in the back, I began to follow the sounds of turkeys and I had soon found my spot.
I could hear him gobbling away in the trees above me and with the utmost care I crawled on all fours up the side of the ridge I believed he was on. I took my time, moving sticks and pinecones out of my path as I went along. My breathing was heavy but controlled. I knew that if I just worked my way up the backside of the hill I would have a chance and as the cards fell I found myself within 70 yards of about six turkeys. I could see several males in the group but needed to close the distance. For me, not having anything to entice them with I got down on my stomach and crawled. I moved from tree to stump to tree on a zigzagging voyage to the drop off of the ridge I had last seen them along. I could feel the moment and it was full of anticipation.
As it turns out, I was dead on. I peaked over the ridge side and there they were, 20 yards downhill. This was it. I didn’t have the shot yet but all I kept thinking to myself what that I was within 60 seconds of taking down my first turkey. This was going to be great. This was going to be something to write home about. However, what happened next was, without exaggeration, completely demoralizing.
Laying flat on my stomach the turkeys were coming right to me but being on a steep slope and uphill from the group I could only barely see their heads. I raised my gun into position and when one of the jakes moved his head up just above the others I carefully swung the barrel of my shotgun over in his direction. It was at that exact moment that I realized just how well turkeys can see. The gentle swing was immediately followed by one of the group jumping up and in that instant I knew I was dead in the water. I’d never felt more naked in my life. When he fell back to the ground you could see him look at his buddies, as if to say, “Whoa, whoa….hey guys, we’ve gotta get out of here”. This can’t be happening. As their movements began to quickly trend away from me I knew I had to take a shot. I quickly tried to lift my body up slightly, aim my gun, and then, with my heart racing I fired off a shot.  My first shot at a turkey, 15 yards away, wow.
When the proverbial smoked cleared I could see all of the birds flushing away, none with any indication of injury. They simply flew off into the distance, and my spirit was crushed. I just had the shot of a lifetime and I blew it. How did that happen? How?
Without delving too much into the frustration in my head I soon realized that I had learned a vital lesson: even if you have taken all the time in the world to get to the birds, even if you have exhibited incredible patience while making your move, if you fail to practice that patience in the last 60 seconds, rush your shot, and become too excited, the game will over in the blink of an eye. In that moment, I rushed my opportunity and came back empty handed. But I suppose, when all is said and done, that’s hunting. What’s the expression, “If it was easy, everyone would do it”. I couldn’t put it better myself.
I called James with the news that day and after he reflected on his morning hunt in which a group of turkeys had given him the run around I felt a little better. I have now been out for three days in a row and had more opportunities in these few days than I did all last season, so, I must be doing something right. I still don’t have anything to call in toms with but my game is to be patient and move slowly. One of these times I’ll get it right.
With any luck I’ll be able to replicate James’s feat this week as he was able to take a turkey down yesterday. Throwing on what little gear he had, a quick trek into the woods soon had a turkey running across an open flat in front of him. He aimed just ahead of the turkey and hit his mark. Tonight he will be over to cook that turkey at my house and with good friends and a few drinks I’ll dream of the day when I’ll be the one bringing home the bird, sending photos around. Until then, the hunt continues, and what a hunt it is.

James Returns From a Successful Hunt:



No comments:

Post a Comment