Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Countdown to Fall and Our Big Game Seasons

Waiting in anticipation I know the results will soon be here. I have spent my time meticulously going through the big game regulations, choosing my hunt units and playing the odds. It’s the time of year when you find out where you will be hunting and how many chances you will have to test yourself during the approaching fall and winter months. Soon enough a chill returns to the air and animals once again become slaves to their instinctual needs; a time when we return to our humble roots.

The lore and wonder that follows big game hunting cannot be denied. It is one of the most iconic forms of the sport and takes an entirely different frame of mind to involve yourself in. It’s not a game for the weak of heart or those looking for a gingerly walk through the woods. It takes a mindset, strong and determined, that will overcome the multitude of odds stacked against you and then, above all, the mental strength to take a life. Life of course, being something we can all appreciate.

At this point in my life I have yet to be successful on any big game hunt I have been a part of. I have not had that opportunity, that moment when everything comes together and you place the animal in your peep sight or behind the crosshair of your scope. But as I walked away from the post office a few weeks ago, I realized that this year I would have the opportunity to not only hunt once or twice for elk and deer but a total of three times. Three times that I will put myself in the woods, challenge myself to push hard and work smart, and ultimately try take an animal.

Moving into this year I have an advantage, now having lived in Oregon for nearly two years the surrounding hunt units and overall country are becoming much more familiar to me. I have a starting point for most every hunt and this go around will be very different. James and I will head up with our bows into the Elkhorn Mountains and chase bull elk starting at the end of August. We will put our minds together to explore the Walla Walla unit for spike elk come late October. And with James’s help, we will travel to the Mt. Emily unit in search of deer, probably my best chance of the year to bring home an animal and put meat in my freezer (the same unit Mike and James both shot their deer last year). I can’t wait for that season to begin.
As such, with all these opportunities I am inevitably faced with the reality that to put meat in my freezer, to be successful, I must take the life of another. It is only at this point in my life I believe I am ready to do so, however, that wasn’t always the case. There was a time, not too long ago, that while I wanted to get into hunting so badly, I struggled with the mental aspect of the endeavor. Never before was I faced with questions of life and death and never before had I contemplated how the moment would affect me. But I have contemplated it now. I have considered the mental aspect. And I now know I am ready.
When I look around at those who grew up out west I am sure that many of them would think it silly to have such conflict running through my head. Not that they do not respect these animals and what taking one means, but rather, many of them grew up with this culture. Grew up with mom and dad bring home deer and elk from the time they were old enough to reach up on the table. So for them, as kids, they were exposed to and saw hunting not as something to be learned later in life, but a way of life, right from the beginning. And to see this as I’ve moved around and gotten to know the country has always fascinated me.
For the others of us, growing up in more urban areas of the east coast, hunting was accepted and practiced, but to a much lesser degree than out west. Growing up in New England myself, hunting was always prevalent, not so much in the southern regions but more so in the backwoods of New Hampshire and Maine; a place of mystery and wonder and the region where I first heard my “call to the wild” if you will. And so, as I sit here today I recognize that I have learned much about the western culture, this hunting culture, and only now having a firm grasp on and deeper understanding of these cultures, do I feel I am ready to take the next step.
I think back to last year and while I would have loved to have brought an animal home, perhaps the learning experience did me more good than I could have ever imagined. I learned of the struggles one must go through to reach these animals and James taught me patience and how to push myself harder and farther than I thought possible. And coming close to several animals, getting on your hands and knees, nose in the ground, you come to want it that much more.
I told James a while back that I am most definitely ready to put an elk down the center of my peep sight. The time and practice has been put in and now the only thing left to do is pull back on the release and let the arrow fly. It is in that moment that I am sure my instincts will take over but I also know that the accompanying moment that I approach the animal on the ground will be a new experience, evoking unknown emotions. I suppose you can never really know how you will react until you are there.
Hunting so much last year during the bird season I was able to overcome any emotions I might have had. With the sport of it challenging and the little brown dog working as only a mutt dog can, I took great pleasure in the outings. But I never forgot to reflect at the end of the day and be thankful for the meat and adventure I was bringing home. With big game, I know the experience will eventually become the same but until that first animal is on the ground I think about that moment often.
Ultimately, when the time comes, I will be ready. I have worked hard, practiced harder, and simply have to put my best foot forward. And when that shot arrives, I know I will have James and Mike to help me clean the animal and relish the day. However, I am ahead of myself, and with almost a month and a half until those seasons begin, I must bide my time and bare through the summer’s heat.
It’s going to be 92 degrees today here in eastern Oregon but soon that chill will arrive, the mornings will be cool and you will open your backdoor to see your breath escape into the cold air. When that time comes, our journey into the mountains will begin.




No comments:

Post a Comment