Sunday, November 4, 2012

Chukar/Partridge - Have You Seen Me?

The struggle to locate birds within the greater area has become somewhat of a mystery to me. As I walk around our surrounding country I see a lack of green grasses and seeds that could be of use to birds but by no means do I see a country that has become a wasteland. I’ve traveled down to the water holes and quail are roaming about in their usual coveys, elusive as ever, but most chukar and partridge have continued to remain hidden. The reason for this change, I’m not sure.

I’ve been reflecting a bit and trying to really think about the spring. When did the rains stop? Was it before or after the nesting season? Could nest success have been down? If not, was brood success adversely affected? So many questions, so many nights spent staring at the ceiling pondering these silly bird questions. But I suppose what kind of bird hunter would I be if I didn’t? Or perhaps that line of thinking makes me slightly crazier than anything else. I’ll lean towards pensive bird hunter, just to convince myself I’m sane.

At the very least the dog and I have been taking our mid-week ventures into the unknown and this past week I was able to sneak into an area where chukar, huns, and quail were all seen hanging out towards the end of last year. The walk was several miles, the elevation gain nearing 2,000 feet, but with the sun hidden behind the cloud soaked skies, Farley and I did our best to enjoy the afternoon.

We crossed many hills, rocky outcrops, and tall grasses but in the end, only two birds, a quail and a partridge were taken. I believe when I went out I was hoping for more but as is always the case one is better than none and two is twice as good. It’s the little things people; let me have my simple, albeit small, pleasures.

This upcoming week I will set off on another pheasant hunt and continue to build that knowledge base seeing as those are the only reliable birds in the county. Well, alright, it’s actually the next county over, but it’s close enough. Perhaps the coming snows will change the game, perhaps not, but I’ll try and err on the side of optimism. Until then.

P.S.

Is anybody out there? Besides my close family and friends does anyone read this thing? Sometimes I wonder. But I enjoy writing so I’ll continue for you small few, whoever you are.











2 comments:

  1. Hey there,

    You have a pretty cool blog here. I really enjoyed reading these older posts about when you lived in Oregon. I don't by any means want to sound rude, but is there any chance you might be willing to share some advice on where to do some hunting out here? I am just wrapping up my first year at Eastern Oregon University in La Grande and I am yet to really meet anyone at school who shares my passion for upland hunting. It seems most the people my age are either interested in only big game or waterfowl. I grew up in the greater Los Angeles area and came out here to get away from the city and because I love bird hunting. I grew up spending weekends out in the desert hunting quail and chukar. I hunted deer back home, too, but it didn't have the same effect on me as heading out and walking the sage covered hills with my dog out front and my gun over my shoulder. Any direction would be very much appreciated.

    Cheers,
    Seth Coffman

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like you've made the right decision by leaving the big city behind there Seth. Sorry for my delayed response, I was in New Mexico for a few days scouting for pronghorn. Why don't you shoot me an e-mail, haineshunters@gmail.com, and I'd be happy to give you a little direction on where I was able to find birds out there in Baker and up near La Grande. Thanks for reading the blog! Talk soon.

      Delete