Sunday, March 10, 2013

Minnesota: Grouse, Moose, and Wolves

When I finally left Oregon three months ago it was preceded by much internal debate and subsequently followed by great sadness. It was a place I had learned more about hunting than I could have ever imagined and it was there that I found a mentor to push me harder than I had ever been pushed. I met many hunters along the way and was privy to elk bugling in the snowy mountains and ruffed grouse flushing from the water soaked lowlands; all experiences I will never forget but ones which are, ostensibly behind me.

Now I find myself in a very different land and one filled with, at the moment, layers upon layers of snow accompanied by temperatures that surely rival any of our other states. It’s flat, covered in hardwoods, and true to its self-professed motto, it’s the land of 10,000 lakes. The land to which I speak of is none other than northern Minnesota; a part of the country that like much of the west has maintained its aura of wild lands and sports some of the largest numbers of outdoorsmen in the lower 48. Its southern neighbor Wisconsin sports nearly 600,000 deer hunters annually making it, in pure numbers, the eighth largest army in the world. Even the name given to this region by the southern metropolitans of “The Northland” brings to mind archaic woodsmen begat from the Vikings and as of yet, still roaming about undiscovered. But more than its remoteness, it’s the wildlife that lays claim to this place which has any sensible hunter itching for the fall, myself included.

For me, the biggest draw of this region is the birds and in no place have I ever been where so many grouse covered the landscape. Ruffed grouse fill the woods in a seemingly endless supply. On average, over the past 30 years nearly 545,000 per year have been harvested from Minnesota’s timberland. In the past decade spruce grouse have experienced annual harvest numbers between 10 and 20,000 and the sharp-tailed grouse, while less common, can still be found in many northern parts of the state. What more could a bird hunter ask for? And to be bordering one of the most prolific pheasant states in South Dakota I would dare say I have found myself in the bosom of upland bird country.

But their big game is not to be overlooked and with so much forested land and moisture abound, deer and moose find themselves perfectly adept to walking through this state’s many wetlands and bogs. It should be noted however that moose will not be in my future. For reasons as yet to be explained the moose population has seen dramatic declines in the past five years and as such all seasons have been called off. For both the greater population and myself, that is a disappointing discovery, but nonetheless their presence speaks volumes to the country forgotten by many. Knowing I may have the chance to get out and chase deer through such a wilderness already has me skimming over game units and planning my trips.

And of course there is the matter of wolves. I don’t believe that you could ever talk about Minnesota without talking about wolves and as was unknown to me upon my arrival, there are nearly 3,000 in this state; multiple packs in my county. Needless to say I’ve been keeping the dog a bit closer than usual. But wolves, like the cougars of eastern Oregon, provide an added element to the woods that cannot be overlooked. It heightens your senses and when you are out there, to know that amongst such powerful animals is inspiring and exciting. However, that is not to say that their presence doesn’t elicit the occasional pause in the woods, but as a good friend once told me, if you spend all your time looking over your shoulder, you’ll never be able to enjoy the adventure. Since that day, I’ve never backtracked and have always kept my eyes ahead of me.

It will still be many months until I can pull out my gun and head into the woods but when the time comes I’ll be ready. Until then, one of the other wonders of Minnesota will have to keep me occupied.

When I arrived here I was quickly taken aback by the not only the number of lakes but by the fact that they were all, well, frozen over. And like a scene out of documentaries I have watched over the years, trucks and ice fishing hunts speckled their surface. Upon telling a co-worker I had never seen such a thing in my life, let alone gone ice fishing, he quickly called together all his cohorts and began the planning. It would appear I am soon to cut into some ice and bring home some fresh Minnesota crappies, oh boy.  Let the Minnesota boondoggle begin.





No comments:

Post a Comment