Saturday, April 20, 2013

"Magnificent Obsession..." by Tom Davis

While under most circumstances I would describe bird hunting in my own terms, with my own voice, I have found several others over the years who have elicited my own sense of passion; others who through their words and pictures have transported me to the open range and put me to bed with dreams of fall. When I find these authors, these men who capture the culture, I hold onto them and continue to lose myself in their stories.

One such article that brought out the best in what it means to hunt upland birds is called, “Magnificent Obsession: Pursuing prairie chickens may be the purest form of hunting…It’s surely the most introspective” by Tom Davis. Published in a popular sporting magazine, Davis eloquently and cogently wraps you up in the world of grouse, and more specifically, that of the prairie chicken. If I had not even gotten past the cover photo (below) I would have walked away with a smile on my face; it’s perfect, symbolizing rural America at its finest. But alas, there is a great article that follows and the experience is divine. From elaborating on the struggles in the field to reflecting on the current state of grouse across the country, Davis makes us all want to head off to the mid-west and try our hand at these elusory birds.

But enough of me, best to enjoy it for yourself…


 


No comments:

Post a Comment